Security Basics mailing list archives

RE: RSA Compromise

From: "Valin, Christian" <Christian.Valin () ncogroup com>
Date: Mon, 4 Apr 2011 08:00:14 -0400

I've heard of several responses to the exposure ranging from (all
hearsay):

1.  Asking token users to change from their six digit PIN to a eight
digit PIN  (not sure how much that will help)
2.  Keep your token serial number protected (theory is: if the wrong
person knows your s/n, they may compute what are the next digit digits
to display).
3.  If you are a large defense contractor, you've already replaced your
RSA solution with another vendor's solution just because of the recent
breach.

My company has joined the ranks of those who no longer employ RSA
tokens; we deployed a competitive product, offering what we believe is a
higher level of security and degree of user friendliness.  It saved us
money too!  We did a transition from RSA tokens to a competitor product
way before the recent news of the RSA breach.

Christian