Security Basics mailing list archives

Re: Antivirus- A Corrective Control?

From: RobOEM <rd.seclists () gmail com>
Date: Thu, 11 Aug 2011 20:35:58 +0200

<rant>
Yeah, 'cause that works in real life..

The biggest is Heuristic Scanning; it's looking for uncommon instructions,

Plz, define uncommon. Like 'uncommon system calls'? Really?

encryption loops that shouldn't be there, things like that.

Now then, you detect obfuscation. That's a different thing. But then
again, lots of legit programs are obfuscated, packed, whatever, to
make reversing harder (so your shitty commercial secret isn't stolen).

They then follow rules or set weights (like MX records) to the Application.

You mean spam detection. When spam writers will NEED to become as
skilled as virus writers to have a significative ROI, we'll see how
spam detection works. (protip: It will work with a list of trusted,
restrictive MX servers, which is much like code signing/ I'll only let
you install from trusted sources, isn't it?)

If a rule is triggered, or the weight gets to high, the AV gets flagged.  This can easily prevent new malware, or a
mutation of a current piece of code.

Yeah, you definitively drank the kool aid. This just popped up in my
timeline, might be relevant:
http://www.infosecurity-us.com/view/19995/

TL;DR: Heuristics, while in theory might work, doesn't account for the
wacky ecosystem of totally legit programs that do weird/nasty stuff on
your machine. (Avast even 'heuristically' detects that my iGoogle's
breakpoints.json  file is malware, go figure). If you really think AV
is proactive, pls let me whip up a doc file you'll have to open on
your machine to explain you why it's not.

</rant>

Keep up the hoping,
rob'