Security Basics mailing list archives

3DES - Non Parity

From: "Femi Mogaji" <olufemimogaji () gmail com>
Date: Fri, 23 Dec 2011 18:30:52 +0000

Hi Folks,

We recently had an issue with a customer. We needed to perform a Key Ceremony and have keys exchanged securely (3DES).
Keys were generated by the customer, however when we tried to enter it into our HSM, it gave a "Non Parity" error for
each key component. Someone told me i may need to adjust the "parity bit" somewhere. He said I may need to make it an
Odd parity

I've done a little research of my own and it seems this parity is particular to DES/3DES. My question is: how is this
parity bit adjusted? Is there any tool out there that can assist me in making an adjustment to a 3DES key component?
Any input will be appreciated.

Thanks in advance.
Femi
Sent from my BlackBerry® smartphone provided by Airtel Nigeria.