Security Basics mailing list archives

RE: Server blocks access of IP after nmap scan

From: "Rishi Narang" <exe.tmp () gmail com>
Date: Wed, 18 May 2011 22:52:36 +0530

Hello,

If that is a single IP, there is a possibility that there is a timing
problem. You can try using "--scan-delay" for your scans. Here is the
excerpt from the manual,

--scan-delay <time>; --max-scan-delay <time> (Adjust delay between probes)

This option causes Nmap to wait at least the given amount of time between
each probe it sends to a given host. This is particularly useful in the case
of rate limiting. Solaris machines (among many others) will usually respond
to UDP scan probe packets with only one ICMP message per second. Any more
than that sent by Nmap will be wasteful. A --scan-delay of 1s will keep Nmap
at that slow rate. Nmap tries to detect rate limiting and adjust the scan
delay accordingly, but it doesn't hurt to specify it explicitly if you
already know what rate works best.
When Nmap adjusts the scan delay upward to cope with rate limiting, the scan
slows down dramatically. The --max-scan-delay option specifies the largest
delay that Nmap will allow. A low --max-scan-delay can speed up Nmap, but it
is risky. Setting this value too low can lead to wasteful packet
retransmissions and possible missed ports when the target implements strict
rate limiting.
Another use of --scan-delay is to evade threshold based intrusion detection
and prevention systems (IDS/IPS).

More details - http://nmap.org/book/man-performance.html

--
Regards,