Security Basics mailing list archives

Re: Server Penetration Testing

From: J Teddy <jteddylists () gmail com>
Date: Tue, 27 Sep 2011 10:21:07 +1000

In Answer to your question.  Exploit frameworks you have Metasploit
and Core Impact.  VA scanners you could use Nessus with Nikto or
Nexpose. For web you have IBM Rational AppScan and w3af.

PCI-DSS v2 states that

11.3 Perform external and internal penetration testing at least once a
year and after any significant infrastructure or application upgrade
or modification (such as an operating system upgrade, a sub-network
added to the environment, or a web server added to the environment).
These penetration tests must include the following:......

Organisations I have worked for never allow you to exploit
mission/business critical servers.
Annual pen-tests for PCI compliance in my experience have just been VA
scans for network/server and manual testing for OWASP top 10
vulnerabilities.