Security Basics mailing list archives

Re: computer with rootkit?

From: "Littlefield, Tyler" <tyler () tysdomain com>
Date: Wed, 28 Sep 2011 11:30:43 -0600

Hello:

On 9/28/2011 10:57 AM, Francois Yang wrote:
I have a computer with Winxp.
I believe it has a rootkit on it and I'm trying to figure out if
there's a way to find out what it is instead of just wiping the box
clean.
I want to find out what it is and maybe it will give me an idea of how
the computer got infected in the first place so I can prevent others
from getting infected with the same malware.

the rootkit or malware deletes any AV you throw at it.
I tried Symantec, Kaspersky and even Malwarebyte.  Once installed they
automatically get deleted.
when I try to launch tools from the sysinternals suite they close
right after they open or won't open at all.
I tried to launch, process explorer, process monitor, autorun and none
of them worked at first.

Have you tried changing the name of the executable? call it like myexe.exe, see if that executes. Also: You could boot up with a Linux live cd and run clamav.

I ran msconfig and disabled all startup items and disabled all
services from launching.
when I rebooted, I got the same issue with launching any of the tools.
however, when I used the Desktops utility from Sysinsternals, and
launched the tools from another window, some of them worked.
Process explorer and Process monitor worked, but since most of the
services and startup were disabled, they didn't see much.
autorun would not load at all.

I also ran Gmer and it would run for awhile until it hit something
then it would die.
Gmer did find a suspicious process that pointed to the c:\windows\ directory.
the process is 784049767:255598753.exe
If I move the file from the c:\windows directory to the desktop and
kill the process, it restarts pointing to the file on the desktop.
If I delete the file, it creates a new one with the same name in the
c:\windows directory.
the process is also tied to the lybraries, ntdl.dll and kernel32.dll.

Looks more like a virus that just changes it's name. Have you looked in your startup folder rather than just msconfic? This looks simply like a duel-threaded application; maybe three threads, with the main thread doing whatever this particularly lovely piece of work does, and the other two monitoring for the processes termination and restarting/copying the file from another location.

This is probably out of my league, but I'm still interested to figure
out what it is and what it's trying to do.

anyone have any suggestions on what else I can do?

Like I mentioned, try a live cd with clamav or something similar. A live cd would also just let you mount the harddrive and remove the executables, you'd just have to figure out where it's initially starting up from. Check services, msconfic and the startup folder under the start menu.

thanks.

Frank

Securing Apache Web Server with thawte Digital Certificate
In this guide we examine the importance of Apache-SSL and who needs an SSL certificate.  We look at how SSL works, how
it benefits your company and how your customers can tell if a site is secure. You will find out how to test, purchase,
install and use a thawte Digital Certificate on your Apache web server. Throughout, best practices for set-up are
highlighted to help you ensure efficient ongoing management of your encryption keys and digital certificates.

http://www.dinclinx.com/Redirect.aspx?36;4175;25;1371;0;5;946;e13b6be442f727d1

--

Take care,
Ty