Security Basics mailing list archives

RE: computer with rootkit?

From: "Steven Marco \(Modern Compliance Solutions\)" <smarco () moderncompliancesolutions com>
Date: Wed, 28 Sep 2011 17:36:58 -0600

Hi Frank,

I have come to the point of putting in an imaging system and routinely capturing images of user systems or master
images and portable profile/application data. Then when an issue like this happens restore the clean image from CD or
network and always have a spare machine for a happy end-user experience.

The ideal is to publish/stream all apps - private or public cloud for database - and try to remove "stickiness" of
users to specific desktop/laptops.  So just replace or reimage and move on.

Wish is was that easy but once installed something like Altiris Deployment Server/PXE is still an awesome way to image
bare metal systems.  Or Acronis for smaller image-to-USB systems and library the images on a NAS.  Then there's
MokaFive taking VDI to the next level.

Sorry if this digresses.  Best luck.

Thanks,

Steven Marco, CISA, ITIL, HP SA