Security Basics mailing list archives

Re: Diff ways to prevent DoS and DDoS

From: "Littlefield, Tyler" <tyler () tysdomain com>
Date: Tue, 03 Apr 2012 09:25:29 -0600

On 3 Apr 2012, at 06:30, "sneha.anand.26 () gmail com" <sneha.anand.26 () gmail com> wrote:
What are the different ways to prevent DoS and DDoS other than checking the frequency or having a CAPTCHA??

A DOS or DDOS is a denial of service attack, or distributed denial of service attack. You appear to be on a different wave length here, so I wanted to throw that out. DDOS and DOS is done usually by flooding a service or application with packets.

If you want to protect a service (or a server), you can set up rate limiting, etc that could help. You will never fully be able to prevent against DDOS since people can just use more systems, but you can at least start.

You also mentioned a capcia. If you are trying to protect a web application, you can also set up some sort of blacklist. make people register to log in, limit number of requests based on IP etc etc. It all really depends honestly on what you are trying to do; as I said before, you mention DDOS/DOS then you mention capcias.

Securing Apache Web Server with thawte Digital Certificate
In this guide we examine the importance of Apache-SSL and who needs an SSL certificate.  We look at how SSL works, how
it benefits your company and how your customers can tell if a site is secure. You will find out how to test, purchase,
install and use a thawte Digital Certificate on your Apache web server. Throughout, best practices for set-up are
highlighted to help you ensure efficient ongoing management of your encryption keys and digital certificates.

http://www.dinclinx.com/Redirect.aspx?36;4175;25;1371;0;5;946;e13b6be442f727d1

--

Take care,
Ty