Security Basics mailing list archives

RE: Testing IPv6 Rogue Router Advertisements

From: "High, Richard" <Richard.High () KnowledgeCG com>
Date: Thu, 16 Aug 2012 18:26:02 +0000

André,

It seem you might be missing to crucial step of doing a ARP spoofing/poisoning for all network devices (including the
server and router). Using Cain & Abel (www.oxid.it/cain.html) or dsniff (www.monkey.org/~dugsong/dsniff) you can change
the ARP tables - the tables that store IP addresses to media access control (MAC) address mapping - on network hosts.
This causes your router, server and client to send traffic to your BackTrack 5 machine (MITM) rather than to the true
destination computer. ARP spoofing is used for MITM attacks.

This is what you need to do:

1. BackTrack "attacker" poisons the ARP caches of victims Win7 and ServerW2k8 by using dsniff, ettercap, or any other
utility that does this.
2. Win7 associates Attacker's MAC address with Server's IP address.
3. Server associates Attacker's MAC address with Win7's IP address.
4. Server's traffic and win7's traffic are sent to Attacker's IP address first.
5. Attacker's network analyzer captures Server's and Win7's traffic.

If Attacker is configured to act like a router and forward packets, it forwards the traffic to its original
destination. The original sender and receiver never know the difference.

BackTrack 5 should have Cain & Abel for ARP poisoning

DISCLAIMER: ARP poisoning can be hazardous to your network's hardware and health, causing downtime and more. So be
careful!

Perform the following steps to use Cain & Abel for ARP poisoning:

1. Load Cain & Abel and then click the Sniffer tab to enter the network analyzer mode.
The host page opens by default
2. Click the Start/Stop ARP icon (the yellow and black circle)
The ARP poison routing (how Cain & Abel refers to ARP poisoning) process starts and enables the built-in sniffer.
3. If prompted, select the network adaptor in the window that appears and then click OK.
4. Click the blue + icon to add hosts to perform ARP poisoning on.
5. In the MAC address Scanner window that appears, ensure the All Hosts in My Subnet option is selected and then click
OK.
6. Click the APR tab (the one with the yellow-and-black circle icon) to load the APR page.
7. Click the white space under the uppermost Status column heading (just under the Sniffer tab).
This re-enables the blue +_ icon.
8. Click the blue + icon and the New ARP Poison Routing window shows the hosts discovered in Step 3.
9. Select your default route (in my case, 10.11.12.1).
The right-hand column fills with all the remaining hosts.
10. Ctrl +click all the hosts in the right column that you want to poison.
11. Click OK and the ARP poisoning process starts.
This process can take anywhere from a few seconds to a few minutes depending on your network hardware and each hosts'
local TCP/IP stack.
12. You can use Cain & Abel's built-in passwords feature to capture passwords traversing the network to and from
various hosts simply by clicking the Passwords tab.

Hope this helps.

-Rico.Suave