Security Basics mailing list archives

Re: STIG Implementation

From: Rob Riggins <rigtenzin () gmail com>
Date: Thu, 16 Aug 2012 13:56:52 -0500

My advice with the Gold Disk is to definitely not run the automated
remediation process. Make the changes manually, because the
remediation process can break things. But of course, you can break
things manually too, but at least you will have an idea what you did,
if you remediate manually.

Gold Disk only reviews Windows and some installed components. The Gold
Disk is being phased out this year. You have two other choices: SCAP
tools and manual reviews.

What other components are on the server? You will need to review those
components with the corresponding STIGs too.

For STIG reviews, use the STIG Viewer. It will create checklists from
STIGs. After you manually run through the checklist items, you can
create an export file to upload to VMS (if that's where the results
are going).

Will you upload the results into VMS?

I could write a tiny book on this. This process can be very
frustrating if you are doing it without someone guiding you.

Rob