Security Basics mailing list archives

Re: VPN Service

From: Pierre Jaury <pierre () jaury eu>
Date: Fri, 03 Feb 2012 19:47:26 +0100

Hello,

Basically, VPN are not meant to act as encrypting gateways, but to
securely and transparently connect remote sites. Using them for Internet
anonymity is a common terrible mistake:
- first, anonymity has nothing to do with networking, you are trying
this the wrong way: anonymity and obfuscated communications is a matter
of application, then use the right applications (first SSL, https, etc,
then have a look at PGP and so before you spend time on some complex
dark p2p matter like GNUnet or Darknet for strong anonymity), do not
tweak the network
- by centralizing anyone's communications through VPN providers trying
to get more freedom with ineffective anonymity, you are actually helping
those providers to become some of the very few effective central points
for misguided people to control communications globally (never forget:
communications are only encrypted on one side of the VPN gateway).

In a nutshell: stop using VPN as personal magical encrypted gateways.
You are doing it wrong :D