Security Basics mailing list archives

Solarwinds LEM, Android devices

From: naranjacinqo () gmail com
Date: Sun, 12 Feb 2012 18:00:03 GMT

Hello All, (apologies if you get this a few times ive tried posting by mail but its not happening)

More of a reader than a poster but I have been asked to look at SIEM products at work. We currently use Solarwinds for
device/network monitoring and I have downloaded the virtual device of LEM to start looking at - anyone any experience
with this product or able to recommend other virtual devices for SIEM? We are looking at about 180 nodes so the LEM
pricing is about 17k GBP for upto 250.

Any better alternatives? Must be a device or more preferably a virtual device.

Also we are deploying Galaxy Android tab devices to sales teams, we are locking down market etc with MAAS360 but is
there any way to check what the apps are really doing - I know they tell you what they will have access to during
install but management are asking if there is anyway to check what the apps are recording and if they are sending
anything anywhere - for example we have momento installed with sales info - we need to make sure that this is not
sending any info to anywhere else - same with the lotus traveller apps etc - is there any way to see what is really
going on with the devices outbound data?

What is peoples thoughts on AV on these, I installed McAfee and it took five days to report EICAR (not waiting for
scheduled scan but rebooted multiple times and scan ran) - we are locking down access to market apps and non market
installs but using dropbox to share - we are protected ok within the network on EPO but interested to see views on
devices.

Securing Apache Web Server with thawte Digital Certificate
In this guide we examine the importance of Apache-SSL and who needs an SSL certificate.  We look at how SSL works, how
it benefits your company and how your customers can tell if a site is secure. You will find out how to test, purchase,
install and use a thawte Digital Certificate on your Apache web server. Throughout, best practices for set-up are
highlighted to help you ensure efficient ongoing management of your encryption keys and digital certificates.

http://www.dinclinx.com/Redirect.aspx?36;4175;25;1371;0;5;946;e13b6be442f727d1