Security Basics mailing list archives

RE: Binary Analysis with Internal Solutions

From: David Gillett <gillettdavid () fhda edu>
Date: Tue, 24 Jul 2012 19:43:48 +0000

  It's true that precise, complete risk analysis is impossible -- it's also rarely necessary.  in deciding whether to
bring my umbrella this morning, I considered my aversion to getting drenched (probably higher than many people's, if
not by much), the cost/effort (minimal), the weather report (warm and dry).  I DIDN'T consider the odds of asteroid
impact -- on days when that probability isn't negligible, I'd have to also figure in the effectiveness of my umbrella
as a mitigation....

  Even without attaching hard numbers, an experienced security engineer should have a good sense of the relative
importance of various factors, and of how risks and mitigating measures interact.  A million-dollar security measure is
hard to justify and rarely necessary, but a ten-thousand-dollar measure might be a wise investment or a waste, and it's
useful to have a somewhat numerical argument demonstrating which.

David Gillett
CISSP CCNP