Security Basics mailing list archives

RE: RE: Malware detection

From: "Mikhail A. Utin" <mutin () commonwealthcare org>
Date: Fri, 27 Jul 2012 10:24:24 -0400

My one cent:
I did not use it and just recently got LavaSoft free AV (well, just for one year license). I opted for based on VB100
rates, where LavaSoft is one of current leaders. However, my friend got very satisfactory experience with MSSE
discovering multiple malware instances where Symantec failed completely (not actually surprising). That has been
verified for FPs, and cleared as real malware.
MSSE goes not have great rate in VB100 2011/2012 tests, and I can explain that as VB100 very sophisticated tests take
time, maybe a few months. While considering MS resources, MSSE can easy advance to leaders just within a couple of
months.

Mikhail Utin, CISSP