Security Basics mailing list archives

Re: AWS and security

From: Warner Tabor <pneusolematic () me com>
Date: Tue, 10 Jul 2012 09:41:54 -0400

Sean,

    We've been using AWS for 3 years now to host our web and app servers without incident. If you make proper use of
EC2 Security Groups you can lock things down pretty tightly. I think that as long as you do your due diligence as far a
security is concerned and make sure you are using known good AMI's (ones that are provided by Amazon, for example,) I
don't think that you'll be at any higher risk for attack than hosting in a co lo. Perhaps other will disagree, and I
can only provide my own anecdotal evidence, but I haven't heard any security horror stories myself. Also, while doing
your study, consider the tools that AWS and other similar cloud services offer you and compare that to a co lo. You
have the ability to launch, test, provision and scale your app in a very fluid and dynamic way. Services like ELB with
Sticky Sessions allow you to load balance your app very easily without worrying about a whole lot of configuration,
extra SSL certs, etc. AWS has certainly allowed us to move far more quickly than we would have if we were hosting on
site or in a co lo.

-Skip
CIO, Jamestown Distributors
http://www.jamesowndistributors.com