Security Basics mailing list archives

RE: protecting web apps for governaments

From: "Ward, Jon" <Jon_Ward () SYNTELINC COM>
Date: Tue, 19 Jun 2012 13:40:09 -0400

On the other side of the same token, we can spend resources on security
ad infinitum, but how much is enough?

The question to ask is whether the cost for protection will outweigh the
potential loss.  An adequate risk analysis will provide this balance
point so we can know how much expense for protection is appropriate.

In the private sector, this figure can help an organization provide a
service without over-spending on protection.  In business it's about the
bottom line.

In the government sector (or when dealing with legal requirements), this
figure will help an organization determine when to stop offering the
service.