Security Basics mailing list archives

Re: mcafee DDOS solution

From: Michał Purzyński <michal () rsbac org>
Date: Tue, 26 Jun 2012 13:18:24 +0200

Frankly, I'm always surprised when someone's trying to fight with DDoS when already inside the attacked network. How
are all this products are going to help if I just flood you with 10Gbit/sec (and that's a small attack as for today's
standards)?

The only place to fight with DDoS is at the ISP level, period. Unless of course your DoS is all about eating server
resources other than network - like CPU or memory - but no ready product will help you anyway. And that does not need
to be distributed, rather finding a sequence of packets that will make server's CPU busy all the time will do.