Security Basics mailing list archives

Give your advice, pls!

From: s garcia <g.f.samuel () gmail com>
Date: Fri, 2 Mar 2012 14:25:24 -0600

Hello guys!

Im a guy whose duties are doing a lot of security stuff; stuff like
scanning for vulns at our entire infraestructure (mainly pcs and
servers) and web apps, also some pentesting work, checking vulns on
changes made on web apps, and of course, a lot of reports and so on..
My boss wants me for administer an IPS. At this point I'm not pretty
sure. I have a personal lab based on virtual machines including an IDS
and some virtual PC's with different OS's on it.. The size of log
recorded for the virtualized IDS in my lab its very insignificant
rather than IPS real world. I just checked out the event log and there
are millions of records...naturally. All info recorded into log Is not
unknow to me, but the management is my concern, I'm already reading
IPS manuals, but how to deal with hundreds and hundreds of records
classified as attacks, web:bots and so on???? I love challenges, no
doubt...and this is a big one. Definitively I could do it, but I just
I need somebody show me the path, the rest I will do.
with no doubt, I see this as a big chance to give a higher step in my
knwoledge..

what is your best advice?

thank you all you guys and have a nice weekend ahead!

Securing Apache Web Server with thawte Digital Certificate
In this guide we examine the importance of Apache-SSL and who needs an SSL certificate.  We look at how SSL works, how
it benefits your company and how your customers can tell if a site is secure. You will find out how to test, purchase,
install and use a thawte Digital Certificate on your Apache web server. Throughout, best practices for set-up are
highlighted to help you ensure efficient ongoing management of your encryption keys and digital certificates.

http://www.dinclinx.com/Redirect.aspx?36;4175;25;1371;0;5;946;e13b6be442f727d1