Security Basics mailing list archives

Re: Bank Of Montreal Online Security

From: "Alexander A. Kelner" <a.kelner () noc brsi ru>
Date: Thu, 1 Nov 2012 22:23:38 +0400 (MSK)

Date: Thu, 01 Nov 2012 08:57:10 -0600
From: Juan F. Campos - Computalleres.com <jfcampos () computalleres com>
To: security-basics () securityfocus com
Subject: Re: Bank Of Montreal Online Security

Date: Wed, 31 Oct 2012 09:26:30 -0500
From: Dave Kleiman <dave () davekleiman com>
To: "security-basics () securityfocus com"
<security-basics () securityfocus com>

Alexander,

   >>> Which password length is more secure - that is a question.<<<

If you used the above statement, just as you typed it, as your password
(passphrase), would it not both much stronger than 6 characters and very
easy to remember?

Hi Dave!

Yes, it's very easy to remember, but I think this method for password
setting is not as strong as it may appears :-)

The phrase "Which password length is more secure - that is a question"
contains not 58 "random chars", but 11 only, because each word must be
considered as a single symbol in the vocabulary, say for brute force
attack.

Yet it is possible to have a "single symbol" that is hard to
guess/crack. You can associate a phrase that include random chars and is
easy to remember.

Please take a look over here (Sophos - Choosing a Strong Password)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VYzguTdOmmU

IMHO it's more easy to remember 8 random chars then
perform lots of manipulations every time when you
need to restore your password :-)

If you bring some order (the way for easy memorizing) into your password
you decrease it's strength.

Well, and now try to type above phrase in invisible mode and don't make
mistake :-)

Though, IMHO six chars passwords are too short. I like at least 8 :-)

--
Best regards,

Juan F. Campos   |  PGP Key ID: 0xDB880578

Securing Apache Web Server with thawte Digital Certificate
In this guide we examine the importance of Apache-SSL and who needs an SSL certificate.  We look at how SSL works, how
it benefits your company and how your customers can tell if a site is secure. You will find out how to test, purchase,
install and use a thawte Digital Certificate on your Apache web server. Throughout, best practices for set-up are
highlighted to help you ensure efficient ongoing management of your encryption keys and digital certificates.

http://www.dinclinx.com/Redirect.aspx?36;4175;25;1371;0;5;946;e13b6be442f727d1

---
Alexander A. Kelner
Senior engineer