Security Basics mailing list archives

RE: Linux Web Server Hardening (LAMP + Wiki)

From: Steve Elkins <stevee () epits com au>
Date: Sun, 3 Feb 2013 01:25:36 +0000

1. It's common knowledge that you don't install X on service based Linux servers, you use the command line and that's
it - people who do install X aren't being serious or are still learning
2. Minimal OS install with only the packages required to run the service, administer the box and provide host based
protection
3. Follow guides to harden OS and the services (Apache, PHP, MySQL etc)
4. If possible run the services from chroot jail (many guides to do this)
5. Install Apache and PHP security modules
6. Keep system and packages patched and  keep informed on security issues with the services through SAN, auscert etc

That's just a small amount of baseline security that should be applied to all your Linux servers - once you understand
the service and possible attack points then you can keep going much deeper

While the default install of a Linux server with X and no hardening could be debated to be less or more secure than a
similar setup on Windows - saying Linux is not secure is plainly trolling.