Security Basics mailing list archives

RE: Bad Antivirus

From: Dan Lynch <DLynch () placer ca gov>
Date: Wed, 30 Jan 2013 09:31:42 -0800

You can no longer trust those servers. Cut your losses, format, re-install, and restore the executables from known-good
backups. Change any passwords that may have been typed at the server's console, or stored or cached locally on the
server. If the servers stored or handled any sensitive data make the appropriate notifications.  Evaluate any other
hosts in the environment, keeping in mind that this can spread via shares and removable drives. Then determine how the
infection occurred, and take steps to ensure that it doesn't happen again.

Dan Lynch
Information Technology Analyst
County of Placer
Auburn, CA