Bugtraq mailing list archives

Re: CERT Advisory CA-93:17

From: Niko.Makila () csc fi (Niko.Makila () csc fi)
Date: Thu, 18 Nov 1993 10:50:44 +0200

I said:
It seems like at least on some systems you can only create files, not
append to or replace existing files.

and Peter answered:
it sometimes helps to be famiular with  the man pages......

from the chmod(2) man pages:

     If the sticky  bit  is  set  on  a  directory,  an unprivileged
     user  may  not delete or rename files of other users in that
     directory.

This is true, but not the case.  I noticed also that your script
doesn't do the trick for me at all unless I already have write
permission to the file and read/execute permissions to the directory.

The only way I can reproduce the bug is to make a symlink from
XtermLog.XXXXX to a file that doesn't exist.  Maybe this *is* system
dependent.  I tried this on SunOS 4.1.3.  Any others?

        //niko