Bugtraq mailing list archives

Re: ICMP nukes?

From: umfriedr () cc umanitoba ca (Oliver Friedrichs)
Date: Thu, 28 Apr 1994 10:04:46 -0500 (CDT)

On Thu, 28 Apr 1994, Carl Corey wrote:

Not sure, i've never done anything on the topic.  I believe that the
widely-distributed nuke.c program's packets (hope I don't over-simplify
this) are FROM the "nuker", but say that the HOST is unreach.  So basically
I believe that newer versions of Cisco software check to see if the ICMP
UNREACH is on the same subnet as the host which is unreachable.  Something
like that; I was in a detailed discussion about it a few months ago but
that's all I remember, and that might be a little off.

Newer versions of the same line of programs also fake the source address
of the IP packet.

- Oliver