Bugtraq mailing list archives

Re: core symlinks

From: Jules.vanWeerden () let ruu nl (Jules van Weerden)
Date: Fri, 26 Aug 1994 09:30:41 +0200

Hi,

woods () ncar ucar edu (Greg Woods) wrote:
I think it is too, and here's at least one legitimate use of core symlinks.
We've had problems in the past with core dumps from our 32 Meg machines
that come from daemon processes filling up the root file system, so we
solved that problem by making /core a symlink to /dev/null.

That can be solved to by creating a read-only file named core in the
directory where you need them.
A mail left a core file in /var/spool/mail and I made the next setup:
-r--r--r--  2 root            0 May 11  1992 core
-r--r--r--  2 root            0 May 11  1992 _let_it_be

It works.

Regards,                        Jules van Weerden
                                CIM Faculty of Arts
                                Utrecht University NL