Bugtraq mailing list archives

RPC protocol problem?

From: baba () ph-meter beckman uiuc edu (Baba Z Buehler)
Date: Tue, 23 Aug 1994 00:39:23 -0500

I just read a post in comp.security.unix entitiled "widespread security hole
in exporting of filesystems" which claims there are ways to break into a
system that has filesystems exported to itself.

Does anyone know anything about this?  The post said "the trick is to make
RPC requests via the portmapper, in such a way that they appear to the mount
daemon to be coming from within the host itself."

The post mentions a program that is "out there" to exploit this hole.  If
anyone has any knowledge of this, could you please post instructions on how
to test for this.

thanks,
--
# Baba Z Buehler
# Beckman Institute Systems Services, Urbana Illinois