Bugtraq mailing list archives

Re: login -h

From: mouse () Collatz McRCIM McGill EDU (der Mouse)
Date: Thu, 8 Dec 1994 12:22:42 -0500

I don't think anyone should rely on wtmp for any kind of security.
Whatof rsh?

If you're going to be paranoid about security, you should blow away
anything that lets people in unauthenticated, like rsh.

Quite aside from that,

Its easy enough to do a rsh <host> xterm -ut -display <foo> and avoid
wtmp detection.

Or more simply, rsh <host> csh -fi, which I have used when for some
reason rlogin didn't work (eg, out of ptys) and I needed a shell on the
machine to fix things.

The -ut flag tells xterm to not make a entry in utmp and it never
considers making a wtmp entry.  I suppose because it never has
permissions to.

xterm is capable of writing a wtmp entry on almost any system on which
it can write utmp entries.  (The exceptions are those where (a) xterm
is not setuid-root, (b) utmp is world writable, and (c) wtmp isn't
world writable.)

The rsh server would have to make the wtmp entry.  Which is odd it
doesn't because it does if envoke a shell with it.  Hmmmm...

Given the current wtmp design, it shouldn't write a wtmp entry because
there's nothing to put in the ut_line field.  One could invent
something, I suppose....

                                        der Mouse

                            mouse () collatz mcrcim mcgill edu