Bugtraq mailing list archives

Re: Security through obscurity, etc.

From: jason () dickory sdsu edu (Jason Matthews)
Date: Mon, 12 Dec 1994 12:30:06 -0800 (PST)

On Tue, 29 Nov 1994, That Whispering Wolf... wrote:

Why doesn't 8lgm, instead of posting exploit scripts, post DETAILED
KNOWLEDGE of the bug, including source snippets if they can, so that
those of us that are capable can diagnose our own systems, work around
bugs (etc), while the average joe-on-the-street doesn't just have a plug-
and-go attack on a system. Any hacker with the ability to turn bug details
into an exploit script probably already knows about the bugs anyhow.

Well, this is just my $.02. I think if 8lgm continues they way they're
going (with things like their SCO 'login' problem -- Which basically said "There's a bug, no fix and no workaround,
so nyah"), I'd rather just see them
go away. I echo Pat's comments (I think that was Pat) about only needing
one CERT.

I would rather have 8lgm then CERT.

Jason