Bugtraq mailing list archives

Re: this is interesting...

From: MSHINES () freh-02 adpc purdue edu (Michael S. Hines)
Date: 14 Dec 94 07:59:27 EST

Pete Shipley says ...

Gee, last time I reported cracking activity to netcom they emailed me
with a note that basicly blew me off saying for me to fix he holes at
my site and they they do not have any security problems.

I fixed this by just blocking all IP traffic from *.netcom.com, (and
letting email get delivered via. a MX host) since almost every time someone
would telnet/rlogin from *.netcom.com their passwd would be stolen.

And a message yesterday to bobr () netcom com got a reply from the vacation
program saying he was away for a while and would read his mail when he
returned....   lots a luck!!!

Internet:  mshines () ia purdue edu      |  Michael S. Hines
Bitnet:    michaelh@purccvm           |  Sr. Information Systems Auditor
Purdue WIZARD Mail: MSHINES           |  Purdue University
GTE Net Voice: (317) 494-5845         |  1065 Freehafer Hall
GTE Net FAX:   (317) 496-1814         |  West Lafayette, IN 47907-1065
CompuServe: 73240,1631                |