Bugtraq mailing list archives

Re: bugtraq misinformation

From: mark () zang kcc hawaii edu (Mark)
Date: Tue, 20 Dec 1994 01:01:51 -1000 (HST)

NetWare version 3.11 does not have a cleartext password file as you
stated on the bugtraq list, but rather, it keeps a secure hash of the
password in the Bindery.  Physical access to the server would be
required to obtain the hashed values.

Ok that may be true but my statement arose from a bored afternoon of
using less(1) on some of the files in \SYSTEM (NET$SYS I think) and
seeing users and what was obviously clear text passwords in a relatively
close proximity to the username... maybe garbage memory, but still all the
users were there. The caveat is I needed to be supervisor to read the
file..:)

Cheers,
Mark