Bugtraq mailing list archives

Re: pt_chmod

From: karl () bagpuss demon co uk (Karl Strickland)
Date: Sat, 3 Dec 1994 15:25:37 +0000 (GMT)

Carson Gaspar wrote:

Does anyone know what the pt_chmod hole is?  The same suid program exists in
Solaris 2.x, and knowing Sun's track record...

By my testing, exactly the same bug exists on Solaris 2.3/SPARC;
however, it does not cause a security hole there.  The security hole is
caused by how the SCO execution environment treats NULL dereferences.
The same bug probably exists in the pt_chmod source on most System V
systems; whether it causes a security problem depends on how the OS
treats NULL dereferences.

Full disclosure has been sent to CERT for dissemination to other OS
vendors.  I am not in a position to publically disclose full details at

you might have cc'd it to 8lgm, to save us a few hours!!! :-)

this time; I also think that to do so would be rude to other OS vendors
who have not had a chance to issue their own fixes.

Your pt_chmod is safe if it coredumps when run as `pt_chmod <
/etc/termcap`.  If not, it might or might not be safe.  Ask your OS
vendor, "trace" or "truss".

talking of trace, is sco's trace broken?  our copy at least, seems to
miss out system calls.  eg for pt_chmod, trace never shows chown(2)
being called; but if you disassemble it or single step it with adb,
you can see that it does actually get called.

I'm sorry that I can't say more.

Bela<

Well done for getting those patches out so quickly.

Cheers
Mailed using ELM on FreeBSD               |                    Karl Strickland
PGP 2.3a Public Key Available.            | Internet: karl () bagpuss demon co uk