Bugtraq mailing list archives

Mode 000 directory

From: pcl () foo oucs ox ac uk (Paul C Leyland)
Date: Mon, 5 Dec 1994 10:03:39 GMT

It appears that I was less than clear about a particular workaround.
The original solution to a file, /tmp/ftpd, being created with
sensitive information was to chmod 600 /tmp/ftpd so that the
information was hidden.

I opined:

I'm in a position of profound ignorance of this particular system.
However, when I find something creating a file I don't want created, I
tend to find that a mode 000 *directory* works much more effectively
than a 600 mode file.

to which a response was:

Somehow, I don't think setting /tmp to 000 would be wise.  8)

Just in case anyone else misunderstood me, my intention was that the
following sequence of commands be executed:

        rm /tmp/ftpd
        mkdir /tmp/ftpd
        chmod 000 /tmp/ftpd

*That* should nail the little bugger.