Bugtraq mailing list archives

Re: Virus's -- This is an Emacs bomb

From: dsg () blackbird mitre org (Dave Goldberg)
Date: Tue, 06 Dec 1994 09:00:26 -0500

Yeah, I've always wondered why Stallman et al, when they wrote v19,
left enable-local-variables to t when they should have followed what
they did with enable-local-eval which is set to query the user.  At
least it can be turned off or set to query in site-start.el or
default.el.

Vi (acutally ex - vi inherits it) has a similar feature, or at least
some versions do.  It required a line with (as I recall) something
like: followed by an ex command in the first or last five lines.  As
I recall that feature doesn't exist everywhere.  It doesn't seem to be
documented in Solaris 2.3's vi or ex man page.  We had a problem with
this under Ultrix at one point because our password file had an entry
that fit the bill.  Took us a while to figure out why vipw cause the
file to get messed up.  Fortunately :q! got us out of it without a
disaster:-)

Dave Goldberg
Post: The Mitre Corporation MS B020 202 Burlington Rd. Bedford, MA 01730
Phone: 617-271-3887
Domain: dsg () mitre org  UUCP: {your neighborhood}!linus!mdf!dsg