Bugtraq mailing list archives

Re: Bad Advise

From: cellwood () gauss ELEE CalPoly EDU (Chris Ellwood)
Date: Mon, 25 Jul 94 23:51:47 PDT

Christopher Klaus said...
Here is some advise from Sun that I highly recommend you DO NOT DO.

If you look at the MAN page for ftpd, you will see the following
advise:

     the following rules are recommended.
     ~ftp)
          Make the home directory owned by ``ftp'' and unwritable
          by anyone.

I highly recommend you change that to owned by ``root''.  If anyone can log
in as ftp, there is nothing to stop them from doing SITE CHMOD 777 to the
main directory and putting .rhosts or .forward there allowing instant
access.

The man pages for many several versions of Ultrix, NeXT-Mach, and a few
other OS's give the same advise.  I think it may be from a standard BSD
mag page source.  While the Ultrix default ftpd doesn't support site
commands, the NeXT-Mach ftpd does, and having the ftp directory owned
by ftp is rather foolish in any case.

- Chris Ellwood <cellwood () gauss calpoly edu>
EL/EE Dept. System Administrator - Cal Poly, San Luis Obispo