Bugtraq mailing list archives

Re: Generating a true random number?

From: shipley () merde dis org (Evil Pete)
Date: Tue, 07 Jun 1994 09:08:43 -0700

Another class of methods uses exogenous noise sources.  For example, if
you have an audio input, feed it noise and use the LSBs of the audio
stream.  Just a microphone in your office/lab should provide sufficient
randomness.  A slightly better source is an FM radio receiver with muting
off and tuned to no station.  For the truly paranoid, bias a semiconductor
PN junction at the Zener point, amplify and digitize the noise, put a
statistical monitor on it to make sure that the bit stream produced has
the appropriate randomness, make several of these and XOR them together.

I have some code that uses the amp noise from the sound chip in my Sparc
if anyone wants a copy (or want to test it for me).   I wrote it
while I was plaing  with the sound chip on my sparc.

                -Pete