Bugtraq mailing list archives

Re: Duplicate List Messages [I guess there's a serious majordomo bug...]

From: mouse () Collatz McRCIM McGill EDU (der Mouse)
Date: Wed, 8 Jun 1994 11:58:52 -0400

Sorry.  I made some changes to the list code [...]
Hahaha!  Isn't that just like the thing - the owner of a 'full
disclosure' list resorts to security by obscurity when it's *his*
machine that's vulnerable.

So would I, until I'd plugged the hole.  When I find a hole, first
priority is ensuring it isn't used to break into my system.  Telling
the world is distinctly second.  In this case, the multiple message
problem provoked the letter that upset you.  While I would rather SC
had been less vague about the problem, I can certainly understand
dashing off a five-line response rather than a whole disclosure - the
latter takes more time, and if I were trying to put a mailing list back
together, I wouldn't want to spend lots of time explaining a bug until
the list were back in shape.

Or, of course, you could be entirely right - in which case SC is being
a bit hypocritical, but I'm still grateful for bugtraq; it's better
than what I had before.

                                        der Mouse

                            mouse () collatz mcrcim mcgill edu