Bugtraq mailing list archives

Sequent/DYNIX Security Hole

From: ratlifc () indikos ctron com (Christian A. Ratliff)
Date: Fri, 10 Jun 1994 09:56:16 -0400

  Under Sequent DYNIX/ptx 2.x there is a security hole in the telnet command
that will allow any user on the system to overwrite any file. Using the
command will overwrite any file in any filesystem with a zero-length root-
owned file.

  To exploit this bug try:  /usr/bin/telnet -n filename hostname

  The fix for this bug is simply to remove the setuid bit from the telnet
executable.
  To patch this bug try:  chmod u-s /usr/bin/telnet

  Sequent was already aware of this bug when I reported it last night. While
it is fixed in the next major release of their TCP/IP package, no alert was
ever sent out to customers.

christian

Christian Ratliff                        Cabletron Systems, Inc.
Sales Programmer/Analyst                 Rochester, NH 03867
ratlifc () ctron com  <NeXTmail OK>         Work: (603) 337-1209
"I'm a NeXTSTEP man; I'm an SGI guy."    Home: (207) 780-NeXT
Nobody at Cabletron knows, approves of, or recalls my opinions.