Bugtraq mailing list archives

Re: /dev/{km,m}em worries

From: rjq () phys ksu edu (Rob Quinn)
Date: Tue, 17 May 1994 13:44:59 -0500 (CDT)

What exactly are the problems with having /dev/mem and /dev/kmem readable
by other? Is there any way in which our systems can be exploited by
this?

 Some solbourne's on campus shipped with world readable /dev/drum files, which
are similar. I was able to snarf the shadow password file by running
`strings|grep' in one window while changing my password a few times in another
window. Just use a grep pattern that will match lines containing :'s.

For the record, isis is a sun4m (two processors) and janus is a sun4c,
both running SunOS 4.1.3. Is there anything I can be watchful of, to make
sure that we haven't been compromised?

 Well, you might go through some old backups and see if the perms have always
been that way. It won't tell you if you've been compromised, but it might
indicate someone broke in and left a backdoor. I mean, it won't show that
you're safe, but it might show that you're unsafe.

--
| let's all be different                                                   |
| just like me                                                   Rob Quinn |