Bugtraq mailing list archives

Re: permissions

From: Brad.Powell () ebay sun com ( Brad Powell - Sun CIS)
Date: Wed, 18 May 94 08:36:29 PDT

Gene writes:

Thus, mounting a partition ro is no guarantee things can't be changed.
This is why we recommend that the Tripwire executable and database go
on removable media that has a *physical* write-protect lock that
cannot be undone in software.

Time to get out the old needle-nose pliers and pull out the write enable
jumper on the drive then :-)

Assumes of course that the ones you want read-only are seperate disks.
 :-)

Some drives do come with a write-enable toggle.

We used to flip the write switch when we were exporting filesystems
to a hostile network.

Now, of course this still doesn't stop intruders with physical access,
but heck, my backup tapes are in a locked file cabinet too, and that
would be easier to borrow than my system disk :-).

Brad