Bugtraq mailing list archives

Re: AIX rlogind

From: mouse () collatz mcrcim mcgill edu (der Mouse)
Date: Mon, 23 May 1994 18:34:05 -0400

the reason some ports of shadow are `bad' and some aren't is
directly related to how the getopt(3) routine works on that os.  if
it allows "-froot" to mean the same as "-f root", then it's going to
be ``buggy''.
i would have sworn that POSIX defines that as correct behaviour for
getopt().

Then either (a) login shouldn't use getopt(), (b) all programs that
call login should check what they pass for sanity (effectively,
reimplement login's argument parsing themselves), or (c) an option
should be defined for login that says "the next argument is a username
regardless of what it looks like".

Personally, I prefer option (c), though if I were to write a login, it
would also take tack (a) because I never use getopt.

                                        der Mouse

                            mouse () collatz mcrcim mcgill edu