Bugtraq mailing list archives

automountd and Solaris

From: garrett () hightop nrl navy mil (Brian S. Garrett)
Date: Thu, 5 May 94 16:03:06 EDT

Jim Thompson said:
| I'd bet that it doesn't mount the floppy (or CD) nosuid, so the
| cracker can simply make-up a floppy with a filesystem containing
| a passwordless version of 'su'.
|
| but I'm just guessing.
|
| Jim

That's it.
I tested it and it works.....
Create a Suid shell and mount it on the filesystem.
A temporary fix is to disable the automountd.

Good call, Jim.

-Brian

--
Brian S. Garrett           | Excellence can be attained if you...
ADP Security               |   Care more than others think is wise...