Bugtraq mailing list archives

automountd bug, and a vold bug??

From: WIDNERM () hsdwl utc com (MICHAEL R. WIDNER)
Date: 06 May 1994 14:07:03 -0400 (EDT)

In an earlier message, Jim suggested that the automountd bug might
have something to do with putting suid files on a floppy or cdrom.

I deleted the message, figuring "Nah, solaris can't be dumb enough
to allow suid files on /floppy."  Guess what?

Now the question here is whether or not this has anything to do
with the automountd (jumbo NIS+) patch recently released.  It is my
understanding that floppy and cdrom 'auto mounting' is handled by
vold, not by automountd.  Is this a totally seperate bug?

I thought maybe this behavior could be avoided by making some
changes to /etc/vold.conf, but I haven't had any luck.  Perhaps
somebody can shed some more light on this.

-Michael Widner
<widnerm () hsdwl utc com>