Bugtraq mailing list archives

Re: permissions

From: casper () fwi uva nl (Casper Dik)
Date: Tue, 17 May 94 17:26:25 +0200

/            rw,nosuid
/usr         ro
/var         rw,nosuid
/home                rw,nosuid
/tmp         rw,nosuid
/usr/local   ro

excellent thinking. Does anyone have any problems with this philosophy?
I noticed some systems around here with /sbin/su and /sbin/sulogin.
These would be disabled if the above conditions were met.
Is this a problem? Anything else break?

If you have systems with /sbin/su and /sbin/sulogin it might just
be Solaris 2.x machines.  On Solaris 2.x, nosuid is a combination of
nosuid and nodev.  Using nosuid on / sort of breaks things there.
Also, tmpfs mount in Solaris does not understand the nosuid option
which means you might end up with /tmp in /.

I have a new mount_tmpfs program for those of you interested in
nosuid /tmp for Solaris 2.3.

Casper