Bugtraq mailing list archives

Re: Weirdness in Sunos 4.1.3ui/ a cracker in the libs?

From: karl () bagpuss demon co uk (Karl Strickland)
Date: Wed, 2 Nov 1994 00:49:29 +0000 (GMT)

Those open UDP ports are most probably connections for the syslog.
For a process to send UDP packets, it needs to open a UDP socket.
Once "openlog" runs, it opens a socket for later use.

I saw "probably" because it is always possible that someone has
subverted the code and is using the socket for more than syslog, but
that would be far more clever than anything I've ever seen a real
intruder do.

Well, maybe the 'really clever' stuff is that which you dont see. :-)

Mailed using ELM on FreeBSD               |                    Karl Strickland
PGP 2.3a Public Key Available.            | Internet: karl () bagpuss demon co uk