Bugtraq mailing list archives

Re: udp packet storms

From: perry () imsi com (Perry E. Metzger)
Date: Tue, 01 Nov 1994 00:56:37 -0500

"Paul 'Shag' Walmsley" says:
On Tue, 1 Nov 1994, anthony baxter wrote:

Everything I can get my hands on here (Ultrix, SunOS, OSF/1, Irix
5, Solaris) has this bug. Whee.

Besides, you get really funky results from ping:
3 packets transmitted, 52 packets received, -1633% packet loss

All of our Unix systems here respond to broadcast pings (IRIX, SunOS 4,
NeXTStep 3.2) ... but I believe that's by design, not by accident.

Responding isn't the point. Sending by accident is the point. If your
machine will send to the broadcast ether addr. simply because you
specified the IP broadcast address, without having set SO_BROADCAST,
you are in trouble.

.pm