Bugtraq mailing list archives

Re: chown, quotas and security

From: neil () legless demon co uk (Neil Woods)
Date: Sun, 6 Nov 1994 02:29:32 +0100 (GMT+0100)

I was wondering if there should be a "nochown" (or "chown", if the nochown
would be the default) flag for the ufs filesystem.

you can allow users to chown files by making the chown utility suid
to root.  When a user-level solution for a site specific option such
as this is available I say leave the kernel alone.

Only in a very trusting environment, where you don't mind if users chown
files they dont own to themselves....

For example, under SunOs 4.1.1:

suntwo# cp /etc/chown /tmp
suntwo# chmod 4755 /tmp/chown
suntwo# su - sys
suntwo% id
uid=2(sys) gid=2(kmem) groups=2(kmem)
suntwo% ls -l /etc/passwd
-rw-r--r--  1 root          550 May 25 00:19 /etc/passwd
suntwo% /tmp/chown sys /etc/passwd
suntwo% ls -ald /etc/passwd
-rw-r--r--  1 sys           550 May 25 00:19 /etc/passwd
suntwo%

Neil

--
Bull in the Heather, Me and My Charms, The Lights, Sensual World, Go, Ritual,
Handsome and Gretel, Take Me, Blue Room, Drunken Butterfly, She's Lost Control.

        ...like a badger with an afro throwing sparklers at the Pope...