Bugtraq mailing list archives

Re: SunOS loses with sending broadcast packets.

From: perry () imsi com (Perry E. Metzger)
Date: Sun, 06 Nov 1994 11:55:06 -0500

Darren Reed says:
In SunOS 4.1.x, the following 4 lines seem to be missing from ip_output():
                if ((flags & IP_ALLOWBROADCAST) == 0) {
                        error = EACCES;
                        goto bad;
                }
(in ip_output.c).  They're there in 4.3, 4.4...

My educated guess is that they did this so that RPC would work (programs
such as "rusers" don't appear to do a setsockopt to toggle SO_BROADCAST)
rather than fix the RPC library (clnt_broadcast doesn't set this option
in the RPC library I have).

How utterly bogus. If true, this means that yet again, a vendor has
managed to cause a nasty security problem for the sake of
lazyness. Certainly that code is missing and shouldn't be.

(I'm scared to think what else I've broken!).

yp/NIS is the only major subsystem I can think of that depends on
broadcast, so that might be it.

p.s. has anyone reported this as a bug to Sun or know if Sun plan on
     doing anything about this problem ?

Dunno, but someone should. Anyone from Sun monitoring this mailing
list?

Perry