Bugtraq mailing list archives

Re: syslog idea

From: bampton () cs utk edu (Howard the Energizer)
Date: Mon, 10 Oct 1994 13:25:01 -0400

In a message posted Monday, October 10 Paul Howell writes:

Fred Blonder writes:
 > The limitation of Tripwire in this application is that log files are
 > ALWAYS (well, almost) changing, so if Tripwire raised the alarm on a
 > logfile, your reaction should be: "So what?".  ;-)

I thought that tripwire would report if the log file got smaller,
an indication that someone is removing records, yes?

At least that seems like a reasonable thing to me.

I think the point was that a hacker could replace your 200KB log file
that shows his activities with a 201KB (or whatever) one that is
garbage (or been edited a bit). Tripwire will miss this.

If you have a program that checksums the file up to byte XXXX,
compares that to what it was, then checksums it up to its current size
(YYYY) which saves that value/size for the next run, you make it
harder for the hacker to replace your logs. [I think this has been
mentioned in this thread, however]

Howard Bampton                      "The man without love gives no hostages
Internet: bampton () cs utk edu        to fortune." -- Black Omne