Bugtraq mailing list archives

Should any user be allowed to create group?

From: yip () acs ucalgary ca (Joseph Yip)
Date: Wed, 12 Oct 94 11:13:02 MDT

The mkgroup command on AIX 3.2.5 is a SUID program which is
public executable. I have reported it to IBM as a security
problem but they say that it is working as designed. Since I
don't have access to UNIX based systems other than AIX, I wonder
if someone could tell me whether other UNIX vendors allow any
user on the system to create and manage groups. One implication
I can think of is that any user can gain access to files and
directories that belong to an unassigned GID. Thanks in advance!

--
Joseph Yip      University Computing Services   (403) 220-6218