Bugtraq mailing list archives

Re: setuid scripts in SunOS 4.1.x

From: jeremyp () gsms01 alcatel oz au (Peter Jeremy)
Date: Thu, 22 Sep 94 16:05:46 EST

Judging by the responses I have received to my earlier question about
setuid scripts, it seems my question was unclear.

I am aware that setuid shell scripts are insecure and tools like perl
and/or wrapper programs avoid (most of) the security holes.  I don't
use any setuid shell scripts and don't intend to.

What I would like to do is to _prevent_ any shell scripts that acquire
setuid (or setgid) privileges from executing with those privileges.  I
thought I'd seen a procedure somewhere to patch SunOS 4.1.x, but can't
locate it now.
---
Peter Jeremy (VK2PJ)                    peter () titan alcatel oz au
Alcatel Australia Limited               jeremyp () gsms01 alcatel oz au
41 Mandible St                          Phone: +61 2 690 5019
ALEXANDRIA  NSW  2015                   Fax:   +61 2 690 5247