Bugtraq mailing list archives

Re: Network Monitoring and Control (announcement)

From: Andrew.V.Kovalev () jet msk su (Andrew V. Kovalev)
Date: Sat, 1 Apr 1995 15:09:49 +0400 (GMT+4:00)

any connection, setting up makeshift firewalls, or even TAKING OVER
(hijacking) any connection.

Sounds ok if your charged with providing security for a corporate,
government or military site, but in the case of pay commercial hosts this
should be illiegal, if not downright immoral.  How much privacy should I
expect from a provider?  I mean I am paying for services, and there was
some limited agreement to services.  I think you better put in a
statement saying YOUR SESSION WILL BE WATCHED AND IF WE FEEL YOU'RE
BEING POLITCALLY INCORRECT WE WILL TAKE OVER YOUR SESSION.

[....]

Am I the only one who feels this is an invasion of privacy?

Chris

I don't think this is worse than a trivial sniffer etc.. And the ability
to hijack a connection is really valuable when you are dealing with some
wannabe cracker... Session monitoring tools are readily available for a
long time. If you really want your TCP session to be safe - use
encryption, it will protect you from watcher as well.

I think Watcher is a valuable tool for those who wants their site to be
secure.

                        avk